Thursday, August 10, 2006

Swing your hips and clap your hands...

... to the beat of luuuv. For our beach wedding last year, I compiled some of the best wedding songs ever. And for those who don't know me well, music is just about as important to me as the air I breathe. It was a hodge podge of the most groovy oldies to the familiar contemporaries. But I don't know, I'm just partial to old songs because they are just so pure, crisp and simple. Take Billie Holiday for example. She didn't need those saxophones and pianos, she could carry the weight of the song all by herself. She makes me wish I were living on a treehouse overlooking the ocean. I can listen to her in my sleep. Barry White makes me want to dance while brushing my teeth. The Turtles songs are the most melodic and singable while Frank Sinatra... well, Old Blue Eyes is just on a league all his own. George Harrison is my excuse whenever I forget to pray every night. Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Heatwave, Van Morrison, The Beatles, Roberta Flack.. I can go on and on. And I haven't even covered Gladys Knight, Natalie Cole, Stevie Wonder, The Byrds and other artists yet. A dash of acid jazz, dance, 70s funk will make it more memorable.

One thing I learned about choosing your wedding music. You may like a lot of songs but if your guests won't enjoy it, the whole place will be dull. I was glad to see people singing to our songs, humming and dancing to it. I plan to have the same thing happen on our Church Wedding. And with all the song numbers planned and the Cha-cha slide, I'm confident people will be having fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home