Monday, August 28, 2006

To have our cake...

... and eat it too! Sandra Lim is making our cake and she is famous for making the most sophisticated cakes in Cebu. Tisha wanted us to move forward with this already so after viewing thousands and thousands of cake for weeks, we had started to get tired. US and UK magazines feature cakes that are smaller than what we want(guest lists here rarely go beyond 100) and we wanted to find that one cake we could just show to Tisha and Sandra and tell them, "Here it is. This is what we want. Follow that." But we had no such luck. Tisha sent me pictures of several of Sandra's works. They were all very nice and sophisticated but most of them were too tall, too high, and too ornamented and that's fine, if you are that type of couple who wants everything big and bloomy. But Joen and I aren't. We are two equally simple people who want things elegant and classy, but at the same time describe who we really are. A lot of cakes really really look good on paper but if you know us and you take one look at these cakes, you will never see us in there. That's something we don't want to happen.

That was why we decided to design our own cake. One of the pictures Tisha sent us gave us an idea on the size we would ideally want for our cake. This was the cake for a silver wedding anniversary she organized (attached). I then got a piece of paper and started drawing. I came up with two designs and showed them to Joen. He gave his input so I did some changes here and there. But the one thing I really like about our cake is that we are trading height for meaning. See, we are inscribing the lyrics of our first dance on the cake and that is... just... so.. US. Hehe. I forwarded the idea to our families and they loved it.

Moreover, Joen had originally wanted to have light blue fondant with chocolate accents. I have always wanted it the other way round but I just gave in to Joen's wishes. Turns out Tisha and I thought alike (Sistazzz!) so Joen says to me, "Go ahead with it. I am outvoted." (Told you he was very easy to deal with, hehe.) Tisha also assured me that the flowers on the cake will be like the actual flowers we will be using. So that should be good.

So here's what I made. I showed these to Tisha and she's ok with it. Very doable indeed. Don't worry, this is a far cry to the end product. I'm sure Sandra will use really really nice flowers and have the absolute perfect fondant to go. Tisha mentioned marble as the cake but I'm not sure. Joen would NOT want the cake to be chocolate and that's ok. As long as the fondant is chocolate-y looking then it should be fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home