Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Worst Feeling in the World

I know, I know. I'm supposed to be talking about how nice our wedding was and all that but with everything we went through just 2 nights ago, I can't help but rant about all of it. So pardon me peepolz...

There we were in Seoul, Korea, tired enough just thinking what on earth we are going to do in the 9 hours that we are going to be there for. But we got both a hotel and meal voucher and so we went. After sleeping it off for a couple of hours, we availed of the hotel's free lunch (which was horrible, by the way). Hoen chose CURRY so they served rice AND curry sauce ONLY. I chose VEGETABLE RICE so they served rice AND shredded cabbage ONLY. Sidings were the usual Kimchi and pickles. Hello!!! "Where are the meat... send in the meat..." to sing ala Barbra Streisand. We ate anyway because we were hungry. We decided to walk around South Korea without our beanie hat (which I will regret for the rest of my life) in its 20 degree weather. Our ears and hands froze but hala sige, lakaw lang gyud. When we got to the airport again, and we got checked in to different flight itineraries, and we'd settled in the plane, I was still fine. We looked at our pictures and ooh'd and aah'd over it. About an hour later, I started feeling sick and feverish. When I woke up after my sleep, my fever had already gone so high I started begging for a lot of orange juice, tylenol and TLC from Hoen. We were seated pa gyud in the middle of the middle row so I had to keep excusing myself from my guy seatmate who didn't want anything else in the world except peace and quiet. I must've given a million apologies. Anyway, Korea to LA was a gruesome 10-hour flight. When we landed LA, fever was still high but I had to be up and about to Immigration and Customs. Our Korea flight got delayed which meant we would miss our LA to Denver flight. Because we had to run 4 terminals away, we got bumped off TWICE to a much later flight! So instead of leaving at 13:36, we would get the 15:45 flight! When we were checking in at LA again, I sat on the floor, pretending to be ok when all I wanted to do was just pass out and let my body rest. But noooo... our olympic sprinting wasn't over yet. We had to rush to the Gate, leave me to sleep, buy some food and coffee because the LA to Denver flight was a Beverage service only flight. Imagine my delight! What a worst time to get sick!

Our seats may have been upgraded and I got a lot of legroom but because of my temperature, I was curling up like a fetus and just hugging myself in order to break a sweat. All that running in the warm LA weather made me perspire but it wasn't enough. I woke up 40 minutes before our 4-hour flight was over, which was good. Put more ice on my head, alternated between ibuprofen and tylenol, had all the fluids in the world and just prayed to God. "Lord, let me get through this night. Let me get through this flight. This, too, shall pass." We made it to Denver all right but our adventure wasn't over. We only had a 45-minute window so chedeng... MORE RUNNING! I ran to find soup, Hoen ran to check us in. When I made it to the Gate, I ate my soup right away only to have boarding start. I felt myself, fever was still there and my nausea was telling me to just "SIT DOWN and EAT!" "Easy for you to say, you ill monster, I have to fly home!!" So I braved the walkway, ate as much as I could of the turkey soup I ordered and again, slept. I woke up and we were half an hour away to Missouri. My fever was gone but I was still as lightheaded as ever. I didn't stop praying. Hoen was exhausted from all the baggage carrying and transferring in LA. When we landed in Kansas City, Missouri, I sat down on the floor by the conveyor. The place was spinning in my head but I didn't want to worry Hoen so I just played it quiet. Good thing our shuttle was on time and all our luggages were secure. We may have lost the tapa and the chorizo at LAX's Customs but the officer was so nice, I didn't say anything nalang.

When we hit the sac at Tita Belen's place, we slept for 10 hours straight. My fever came and went but the antibiotics I bought from Pinas helped a lot to rid me of serious tonsillitis. But the rush wasn't over. I was scheduled for Urgent Care in Omaha 'til 10 pm in order to get prescription antibiotics so we had to go, go, go nasad. But our 3-hour drive was NOTHING compared to our hell-acious, exhausting, body-beating, TIRING 18 hours of flight. I told Hoen, "We are NOT doing this again. Next time, we are going to fly to LA then fly directly to Cebu, I don't care if it's expensive. The convenience is worth it." I guess that weather change in Korea and our demanding schedules in Cebu did it all. After all the Holiday obligations, the wedding preparations, the post-wedding dates, the family affairs, my body couldn't take it anymore. It took a toll real fast and at the most inconvenient time.

Now, I'm feeling better and I'm so lucky to have a hubby who never left my side the entire time and whose massaging skills have grown better and better! Vicks Vapor Rub, White Flower, Advil and Tylenol... maraming salamat din po!

PAHABOL: I ate like a pig on the plane and I finished all my food. Just this afternoon I weighed myself. 100.2 lbs. AHAK NALANG! Mao nay gitawag nimo ug MALAS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home